If your lawn has been laid out by Tuinengras.nl, then we have installed very good quality turf for you. The sods are resistant to playing children and pets, are net-free and dark green in color and absolutely weed-free.
We trust that this has provided you with a good basis for years of enjoyment from a beautiful lawn. But now it’s up to you: maintain your new lawn! Good maintenance not only extends the life of your lawn, the grass also stays greener and you suffer less from moss and weeds.
What’s the secret to keeping a lawn looking good?
The biggest secret to getting and keeping a beautiful lawn is yourself. Without persistence and dedication, the lawn will eventually turn from a beautiful green grass to a lawn with yellow patches and possibly moss or weeds. Keeping the lawn beautiful depends on the time you want to put in, and that is more than you initially think. You should spend at least once a month in the winter months to several times a week in the summer to maintain your lawn.
A step-by-step plan for good lawn maintenance
Keep in mind that maintaining the lawn takes time, so prepare a schedule to adhere to. Only then will you get a beautiful lawn. Below is a step-by-step plan that you can work with.
- Mow the grass slightly higher than normal before starting lawn care in the spring.
- Cut the edges nicely straight, so that the lawn is well defined.
- Scarifying the lawn. This means that you go into the soil about 1 cm deep with a scarifier. This ensures that more oxygen enters the soil on the one hand and that mosses become loose on the other.
- Remove the mosses, as well as weeds and patches of dead grass. This will create bare spots in your turf.
- Sow the bare spots with grass seed or layout a new turf and make sure they get enough water and nutrients.
- Water the lawn sufficiently throughout the year, including the weather. In dry periods you will need to spray more often than in wet periods. If water remains on the lawn, ensure good drainage, this can already be done by poking holes in the lawn in which the water can drain.
- Remember to prune regularly, but do not cut the lawn too short. Slightly longer grass grows less quickly so that less frequent pruning is sufficient. Feel free to let the grass grow 4.5 cm high.
- Fertilize the lawn once in the spring and once in the fall to provide it with sufficient nutrients.
- Remove weeds as soon as you encounter them in the lawn, but also remove dead leaves and branches.
- In winter, use lime to maintain the acidity of the lawn. This prevents bare spots and moss, which keeps the lawn beautiful.
Grass care tips & tricks
To make it easier for you to maintain the grass properly, below are some more tips and tricks.
- Make an annual plan for your lawn. This may sound exaggerated, but if you stick to the schedule, you will get a nice pitch in return. This way you can be sure that you will not forget anything and when what is next.
- Always use good, clean tools. Sharp blades on the lawnmower or scarifier. A good shovel and rake make the job much easier. Clean tools also ensure that you do not work diseases into the soil yourself.
- Prevention is better than cure. This certainly also applies to your lawn, so try to prevent moss growth and bare spots by keeping the lawn well-tended. That means intervening in time when necessary. Do not fertilize too much or too little or spread lime. But also remove weeds, branches, and leaves when necessary. Water and drain when the lawn requires it. This can be done through your annual planning so that it does not take too much time.
- Do not leave baths, trampolines, and tents in the same place all the time, but move them several times a week.
- Do you suffer from vermin? Do not wait any longer and fight it immediately with the right means.
- Make sure that dogs and cats cannot use the lawn when they want to relieve themselves.
- Don’t make it too difficult for yourself. This means that it is best to keep your lawn straight. Without too difficult curves and shapes so that mowing remains fun.
- Fertilize the lawn
- Dethatching grass